Hatchet

4-23

Your Reviews!

Below are reviews of Hatchet.

4-5

How has Brian’s life changed now that he can hunt? Why was First Meat a big deal? Use evidence from the text to support your quality response?

3-7

After Brian was attacked by the porcupine he learned something really important. What did he learn and why is it the most important rule about survival? Explain your thinking with examples from the book as well as your own thinking.

2-21

Well, that didn’t take long. Gary Paulsen has already left you wanting to know what happens next. What do you think will happen next? Explain your thinking with examples, clues from the text, and your own background knowledge.

19 thoughts on “Hatchet

1. First, I think, that somehow, the pilot will be ok because on page 11, paragraph 1, the pilot says “Oh god, my chest is coming apart!” that sounds very serious. But on page 11, they can’t ( well they can) They shouldn’t kill off a character on page 11. Next, I think that Brian will go to the mountains and the forest because on the cover, it shows Brain, a bear, a plane, the mountains, and the forest.
    Finally, I think that he has to use the hatchet to survive in the forest, Brain will meet animals, some friendly some unfriendly because the cover also shows a wolf howling.
    And that is what I think will happen next on Hatchet.

2. I think that Brian will fly straight down, and crash. I think that the pilot is definitely dead, and the plane will break on impact. I don’t think that Brian has a very high chance of surviving, and he also might die right when he lands. He has no plane experience nor does he know how to fly one. If Brian survives I don’t know how he can learn how to survive in the wild. Plus he has no way of communicating to anyone, and he has no idea where he is! Brian is in a very sticky situation. I think that his Hatchet will be one of his only chances of survival. I think that he may have to survive in the middle of nowhere forever.

3. So what I think that will happen next is that the plane will crash. Then Brian will have to survive on his own. Or the plane will crash into a lake and he still would have to survive on his own. So that is what I think will happen next

4. When Brian got attacked by the porcupine, he learned that the needles had to come out. It says so on page 81, paragraph 2, it says “But he knew they had to come out,” I believe two things about this. 1. Good idea, it is a good idea because if he takes the needles out of his leg, his skin can grow back.
    2. Bad idea, it is a bad idea because Brian has no bandages. So if he takes them out of his leg, he will bleed from 8 different places. Too much blood loss and: R.I.P Brian.
    Also, if Brian is very allergic to the needles, he needs a safety pEn( not the same thing as a safety pIn).
    A safety pen is something that you stick in your leg to save your life if you have a big allergic reaction to something.

5. Brian learned that he needed a fire or some kind of light so he can see when something going.Also he needs a fire because when the porcupine shot the needles Bran couldn’t see where it is.So he through the hatchet at the wall it made sparks.Then the porcupine left and he went to go look at the hatchet.So he saw a big scratch on the hatchet.Then he knew he could make a fire with the hatchet so he tried and got some sparks.

6. I think what’s going to happen is that the pilot will die.Then Brian we’ll have to land somewhere or do something.Also he could be on the the pilot system and say that the pilot is having a heart attack and the plane might go down.Then he would be left in the woods and he would need to survive till someone else found him.

7. After Brian was attacked by the porcupine he learned that feeling sorry for yourself didn’t work. After he pulled out the quills, he began to cry self-pity tears. Brian learned that the most important rule of survival was that feeling sorry for yourself didn’t work. I agree with him because he said that he was crying for a really long time. Nothing came to help Brian, Brian has to help himself. Nothing magical appeared and helped Brian. Everything that he wants to happen won’t if he doesn’t try to. Brian kept saying that the crash, mosquitoes, no fire, and all the bad things that happened to him. He wasn’t looking at any positives or thinking about what he had to do. If all your going to do is feel bad for yourself than you are not going to survive, and Brian learned that. That is why feeling sorry for yourself is the most important rule of survival.

8. Brian’s life has changed now that he can hunt because hunting will get you meat. But why is meat such a big deal? Well meat will make you stronger and faster. While Brian is stronger, he can upgrade his home with wood or rocks. While Brian is faster, he can catch animals faster, getting him more meat. But, It would be hard to catch a bird because on page 139, it says “Their camouflage was so perfect.” But with “A bow in one hand and a spear in the other”(page 142) It will be easy.

9. How Brian is now able to hunt for meat is a big deal is because he can now get more food then just berrys. He can also use the scraps to lure more fish so he can have more meat. He can have a variety of food because if you eat the same thing everyday it would get boring. He can also use the feather for warmth and arrows. The reason the first meat is so important is because he would be eating berrys for a long time and now that he has more food that will make him more stronger is a big upgrade.

10. Brian’s life will change now that he can hunt because he can have more filling, and nutritional meals. He can gain a lot more food. Brian has learned new ways to hunt which led him to his first meat. After past experiences he was fast enough to finally catch a bird, and even learned how to skin it. He doesn’t have to constantly eat fish. Brian can also attract fish by using the animals body parts. Which can help him have lots of fish if he wasn’t able to get other animals. His first meat changed his life. Hunger, confidence, and supplies are now a lot easier. Brian now has the ability to hunt animals. He doesn’t have to be sick of fish anymore, and now can hunt live animals.

11. How hunting will change Brians life is by when any animals try to attack him. If he is found he could help his family. Hunting could come in handy. For Food,Shelter,and warmth. His first meat was a big deal because it was his first time hunting meat and animals.

12. How will brian’s life change now that he can hunt?
    It has changed now because he does not have to eat berries and he can finally get some meat for his stomach and does not have to keep eating fruit he can eat some meat and won’t have a stomach ache because of how much the of the berries he ate.
    Why was his first meat a big deal?
    His first meal was a big deal because,if he did not have or find the food he would have died of starvation and if he did not help himself and make a fire he would have to eat raw fish or berries and other foods that he had raw and he would have got food poisoning without the fire to cook the food.

13. HATCHET
    By Gary Paulsen
    Review written by Christian
    If you want a story about survival then HATCHET is the best choice for you.The setting for the story is in the woods in Canada. Its next to a L shaped lake.The character is a 13 year old boy named Brian.How Brian got into the woods was by a plane crash. Then chapter one ends chapter two begins.Some conflict Brian got into is he got quilled by a porcupine.Another conflict is Brian got beat up by a moose.The author’s message is not to feel sorry for yourself.Thought HATCHET was a good book when the plane crashed I did not expect that to happen. I don’t think people who like mystery or romantic would like HATCHET.People who like action or survival I recommend this book for you. I recommend this book for ages 10 and older. It’s an interesting book if your at your library and you see that book you should check it out.

14. Hatchet
    By Gary paulsen
    Review writer Nathan
    The story begins with a boy and a hatchet,Brian, in the wild with no food, struggling in the wild. Frightrning, if you like all of this stuff you should read hatchet. Hatchet is a book with excitement, risk and, adventure. I would recommend this book for ages 9 and up because there is some drama that a little kid might get terrified at bedtime.So the story is about a kid name Brian, he was going to visit his father but the plane crash. Brian was very hurt and he needed sheltered and food. Natural disaster hit him and animals came for him but he lived throw them.

15. What Brian learned is not to feel bad for your self. When Brian got quilled by a porcupine and he felt bad for himself. Then he learned not to feel bad for yourself.

16. Hatchet
    By: Gary Paulsen
    Review written by: Noah Schauer

Do you like survival books? If so, you have to read Hatchet. 13 year old Brian Robeson was on a single engine plane with just two seats. During the flight to see his dad the pilot had a heart attack! They jerked sideways, and the pilot was frozen. Brian flew the plane for an hour, but then the plane ran out of fuel. The plane was destroyed in the crash, and Brian barely survived. Brian is stranded in the woods with a lake right next to him. All he had was a hatchet his mom gave him as a gift. Can Brian survive? Will divorced parents affect him? Will he get found? Brian will learn skills as the story unfolds but will it be enough?
    I loved Hatchet because you never knew what was going to happen. Seeing how Brian changed throughout the book, and finding out how to survive was thrilling.
    I would recommend this book for ages 9 and up. There aren’t any pictures, and some parts may scare or gross out some younger kids. Plus it does have some tough vocabulary. However, It’s a wonderful book that you have to read, especially if you like survival books.

17. Hatchet
    By: Gary Paulsen
    Review written by: Garrett

Pilot has a Heart attack. Brian crashes a plAne into a lake.Brian is in a foresT.Brian Can’t escape.Brian survives using his Hatchet.Brian Eventually gets a survival pack. H A T C H E T.
    If you like to read action,adventure, or drama books, then Hatchet is the book for you.
    In Hatchet, It starts out with a 13 year old, Brian, sits in the co-pilot’s seat and flies a plane. While in the air, the pilots has a heart attack and dies.
    Then, the plane crashed into a lake. Brian is still alive, but stranded. Did that sound bad? Because that was just the beginning.
    In Hatchet, Brian has to survive big events, such as a skunk, a porkipine, a moose, a TORNADO. And of corse the conditions of being stranded in the wild.To survive these events, Brian has to build tools and a shelter. How does Brian even survive the first day? With his Hatchet.
    The end of Hatchet went fast.
    Brian can survive everything that happened because of his phicical traits. Brian’s phicical traits are:
    1.Strong
    2.Smart
    3.Good Memory
    4.Good Swimmer.
    This explains why Hatchet is a great book.

18. Hatchet
    By. Gary Paulsen
    Review by Josh B.

If you like survival you will like Hatchet.Hatchet is about when Brian the main character was heading over to his father in canada. When one thing happened the pilot had a heart attack while driving.Then brian tried to get the pilot alive again but it didnt work.So he went on the intercom and said the pilot had a heart attack no one would answer.So the plane was running out of gas . brian had to land it somewhere.So brian said when I see a lake i’m going to land.So he found a lake and landed.He found a place to sleep and for safety.So he got food and was trying to survive till one thing happened.
    I would give this a 4 out a 5 I liked the book but he could not have left us a cliff hanger.

19. Hatchet
    By Gary Paulsen
    Review written by Sophia K

I think the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen was a good book but I think the book could be better in the end and the middle because when Brian was out in the woods and found the cave and the Porcupine found Brian and Brian found the porcupine and the quills shot at him and landed in his leg.He pulled the quills out of his leg and could still walk,I think it would be weeks till he could walk but with his life depending on it I find it would be hard to walk.I now I would fall down quickly.But as Brian tried his best to stay alive,he had to make a fire to be warm and to get rid of the bugs/mosquitoes that like biting him and he had to the bugs out of the cave and other animals that would kill him and,how he made his own tools to get the meat from the fish in the lake,that part I thought was cool but it could still use a little more to explaining how he made the sphere to get the fish to eat.Over all the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen was really good I would recommend it to 4 grade and 3 grade because i think they will like the book with all the stunts that Brian pold off I think they will like it.